Driving up to Katy Lake, you’ll notice its entry is lined with trees with views of Waxahachie Country Club’s beautiful greens, fairways, and waterscapes. In the summer, you’ll see the city’s streets filled with hundreds of beautiful Crape Myrtles. That’s why Texas State Legislature designated Waxahachie as the “Crape Myrtle Capital of Texas” in 1997.
It’s one of 10 Texas cities to receive the First Lady’s Texas Treasures Awards. According to Texas Historical Commission, cities receiving this award “go the extra mile to discover their roots, teach living history lessons, and create a lasting legacy for future generations.”
Waxahachie has also been recognized as a National Main Street City 14 years out of 15 years of eligibility. Cities receiving this recognition show their commitment to preserve economic development and community revitalization. The city is just a 30-minute drive from the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex and has a population of 30,000.
Awesome Things to Do in Waxahachie
Waxahachie and its down-home hospitality features many year-round events and festivals. Some will have you traveling back in time especially when you head to the Historic Downtown District. Ellis Courthouse, the most photographed courthouse in Texas, has trees on its lawn that are lit every day. Historic Downtown District has many antique, boutiques, and specialty shops.
In addition to Ellis Courthouse and museum, you can see these right in Waxahachie:
- Historic MKT Depot: Restored rail stop that functions as a retail shop.
- Lake Waxahachie: Fans of the outdoors enjoy fishing, boating, and jet skis.
- Munster Mansion: Private home is a re-creation of TV show home of The Munsters.
- Sims Library: See an example of Neoclassical architecture.
- Webb Gallery: Collection of art, old fraternal lodge objects, and vintage-anonymous art.
Waxahachie has many sports facilities and more than 90 restaurants specializing in everything from chicken and Chinese to Italian and seafood. Downtown hosts many special events and festivals throughout the year.
Here’s a taste of some of the popular annual events:
- Scarborough Renaissance Festival in April and May
- Gingerbread Trail Historic Home Tour and Arts and Crafts Show in June
- Cow Creek Country Classic Bike Ride in June
- Crape Myrtle Festival with concert and fireworks in July
- Mini Grand Prix in October
- Texas Country Reporter Festival in October
- Candlelight Home Tour in December
And don’t forget you’re a short drive from Dallas and Fort Worth. Both cities have first-class museums, superb theater, and unique places to see. And the same goes for the cities in between with the homes of the Dallas Cowboys and Texas Rangers in Arlington right by Six Flags Amusement Park.
Waxahachie Schools for Katy Lake Students
Students in Katy Lake attend Waxahachie Independent School District. WISD serves almost 8,000 students. The school district aims provide excellence in education as they produce National Merit and Advance Placement Scholars. It boasts of having one of only 109 Early College High Schools in Texas.
Students living in this community attend the following public schools:
- Wedgeworth Elementary School
- Grades: K – 5
- Enrollment: 750 students
- Top 25% closing performance gaps
- Finley Junior High School
- Grades 6 – 8
- Enrollment: 1000 students
- Accountability rating: Met standard
- High school: Waxahachie offers several options
New Homes in Waxahachie by Sandlin Homes
New homes in this Waxahachie neighborhood from 2500 to 3500 square feet with a price range in the $340s. This neighborhood has multiple floor plans available. Each one has its own options so you can personalize your home. Those who want to save time and limit decisions may want to check out the quick move-in homes. You can view a video tour of the home or a similar one on these pages.
To learn more about the neighborhood, visit Katy Lake homeowner’s association website. Come visit Sandlin Homes at the model home anytime Tues. through Sat. from 11 am to 7 pm and Sun. and Mon. from 1 to 7 pm. If you’d like to come by on Thu. or Fri., please call to schedule a time.
Sandlin Homes in Katy Lake
Waxahachie, TX 76167
How to get to the Katy Lake:
- From I-35: Exit 287 Business. Go left on 287 Business and drive 0.5 miles to Katy Lake.
- From Hwy 287: Go south on I-35 service road. Stay on service road for 1.2 miles until you get to 287 Business. Go left on 287 Business for 0.5 miles to Katy Lake.