During our parents’ and grandparents’ generations, the technology that we take for granted today was something that they could only dream about. They never imagined that things like video messaging and automated coffee pots would become a reality, much less an everyday convenience.
Advancements in technology make our lives so much easier, and it is only getting better. In fact, today’s new homes are more tech-savvy than ever, working off “smart” devices such as mobile phones and iPads or tablets. It seems like our devices have a mind of our own, which adds a layer of convenience to life.
You can have automated features installed in the home you plan to have built. These features are not only convenient, but also have other benefits that your family might enjoy. Some of these benefits include:
- Safety – Perhaps most the important benefits of an automated home are the safety and peace of mind that it offers to the family that lives within it. You can turn off small appliances, which reduces the risk of a fire hazard. You can also control lighting while on vacation, which makes you less of a target for thieves.
- Automated Door Locks – Have you ever left your home and wondered if you locked the front door? Or walked out of the house and realized your keys were still inside, or been locked out by a mischievous child? Automated door locks help you monitor the doors leading into your home and allow you to monitor who comes and go at what times.
- Security Cameras – Sure, security cameras can help you make sure your home is not being picked clean by thieves while you are at work, but did you know that they can also help you keep an eye on your pets? You will know if the cat is climbing the mini-blinds or if the dog is gnawing the legs of the dining room table.
- Temperature Control – Lower your utility bills with the power to automate your thermostat. You can adjust the thermostat before you leave work so that it is at the right temperature when you get home. Not only will it save you money, but it will also save energy.
- Relaxing Vacations – When you have to go out of town, whether for pleasure or on business, you have the peace of mind of knowing what happens when you are not home. If you trusted a neighbor to bring in the mail and water the plants, your automated security features can ensure this is what is happening.
Regardless if you are a busy parent, a young single professional, or an empty nester, automating your new home can make your life easier. You can enjoy conveniences that others take for granted which will result in a better night’s sleep and more peace of mind each day. Whether you are having a new home built or renovating your current one, talk to your contractor about automated features.