The Fort Worth area offers so many opportunities to get out and explore. Whether you are a family looking for a way to entertain the kids for a Saturday afternoon or a new single person to the area searching for opportunities to connect with others, Fort Worth offers free activities and events for everyone. Here is a list of ten popular things you can get out and do without spending a small fortune.
- Water Gardens – The Fort Worth Water Gardens is like a calm oasis in the middle of the hubbub of the otherwise urban city. This relaxing sanctuary offers a wide range of water features that visitors can enjoy as they meander through this tranquil, public space.
- Amon Carter Museum – From early landscape painters of the mid-1800’s to the modern artists of recent times, this museum offers something for everyone and it’s completely free. Families may be especially interested in story times and Family Fun Days.
- Bread Making Tour – Although it requires two weeks’ advanced notice, schedule a trip to Mrs. Baird’s Bakery for an exclusive tour offered to children aged 6 and older.
- Bureau of Engraving and Printing – This facility offers a tour that features watching billions of dollars being printed and two floors of displays of the history of money and other interactive exhibits as well.
- Fire Station No. 1 – This historic building is home to “150 Years of Forth Worth”, an exhibit from the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History. In addition to historic artifacts, the exhibit offers fun photo ops for families, too.
- Fort Worth Botanic Garden – This 109-acre garden offers plenty of area to walk around and enjoy the more than 2,500 species of both native and exotic foliage.
- Monnig Meteorite Gallery – Get hands on with the solar system with an up close and personal look at meteorites. The gallery offers interactive exhibits that include creating a crater.
- Sports Stores – Although they are retail stores, Cabela’s and Bass Pro Shops offer free events like fish feeding shows and hands-on fishing for kids. Each store’s website has details.
- Cowtown Opry – This group of performers can typically be found on the steps of the Livestock Exchange every Sunday at 2pm. Their shows reflect their pride in the great musical heritage of the Lone Star state.
- Sundance Square – Although this shopping center is filled with retail stores and other fee-incurring events, it also offers a plethora of street acts, if weather permits, which are free of charge.
This list is only a tip of the mountain of free things to do in the Fort Worth area. While other attractions require a fee for entry or some other monetary value attached for the privilege of participating, there is plenty of entertainment you can enjoy without spending a dime.